ï¿½For an authentic taste of St. Kitts, mix up a batch of conkies, a sweet treat that’s often enjoyed around Easter on St. Kitts. Wrapped in banana leaves, conkies are a soft, steamed cornmeal pudding made with fresh grated pumpkin, sweet potatoes and coconut and flavored with raisins and spice.
- 1 Large dried coconut, grated
- 3/4 Lb grated pumpkin
- 1/2 Lb grated sweet potato
- 3/4 Lb sugar
- 1 Teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 Teaspoon allspice
- 1 Teaspoon almond essence
- 4 Ounces raisins
- 1 Cup flour
- 2 Cups cornflour (or cornmeal)
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 4 Ounces melted butter (or margarine)
- 2 Ounces melted shortening
- 1 Cup milk
- Banana (or Plantain) leaves cut in 8-inch squares
- Mix the coconut, pumpkin, sweet potato, sugar, spices, almond essence, raisins, flour, corn flour, and salt together thoroughly.
- With a wooden spoon, stir in the melted butter, shortening and milk and mix until smooth.
- Place 2 heaping tablespoons of the mixture onto each plantain leaf square, fold the edges to make a neat envelope and tie securely.
- Steam the conkies on a rack over boiling water in a large saucepan, or in a steamer, for about 1 hour or until they are firm.
- Unwrap the conkies and serve on a heated dish.